Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Watermelon, Tomato, and Feta salad



Quite possibly the best summer salad. Besides an obvious lack of carbs, it has the whole juicy-sweet-crunchy-minty-creamy-bitter thing really going for it. It was my lunch every day this week with a hard-boiled egg and then I made another round of it for dinner with friends on Saturday (with potato salad, steak, and caramelized onions. yum.) Since there's no carbs, it's really easy to digest-- and you've got the nut protein and hydration from the melon-- so the day I didn't eat lunch until I got home from work at 4:30, I was still able to go for my 5:15pm run just after eating it without feeling sick (score!)

Adapted from the recipe here:
(I made a half recipe-- yields enough for 5 lunches or side salad for 6 people with some leftovers)

Combine half a container of TJ's Feta, half a watermelon, half an onion, about a third of a container of mint, two heirloom tomatoes (I used yellow ones because they look better against the red watermelon), and 1/2 cup of raw walnuts.
Cube the melon and tomatoes, chop the mint, walnuts, and onion, and mix in the feta. Toss the salad, and enjoy... with a pitcher of orange spice black sun tea, perhaps?

Update on the CSA box clean out: 
Tostada night used up three tomatoes, two zucchini, half an onion, and three ears of corn. A Greek salad put two more tomatoes and a cucumber to use. Another batch of zucchini bread used up another two zucchini (tried this one but it wasn't sweet enough, then tried this one and tasted the olive oil a little too much. Still on the hunt for the perfect recipe.) I blanched and froze the last five zucchini and left for vacation leaving only one kohlrabi root and three cucumbers to my housemates. Not too bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment